Monday, June 10, 2013

HGTV Design Star: Season 8

Episode: A Brand New Season- Original Air date 6/9/2013
There are spoilers in this, beware! 

One note before reading.  I have no expertise in design, only in what I think looks good and what I might actually like to use.  With that being said, if you're offended, please say something in comments because I love banter and it gets my rocks off.  Or at least, my heart-rate.


The Contestants:

Anne Rue from Florida, she categorized her design style as "beautiful, functional and livable eclectic." She also says she loves to incorporate color into her designs and enjoys mixing classic and coastal design styles. *all of these quotes are from the HGTV website unless I put a parentheses around it. (She looks like Connie Britton, which orange hair)

Tobin Green from Florida constantly strives to evolve and step outside his comfort zone while creating his signature vintage industrial spaces. 

Tiffany Brooks from Illinois is the owner of a residential interior design business favors contemporary spaces with an out-of-the-box twist. 

Abby Vasek from Texas has a clean, bohemian design style by adding in masculine lines. (Bubbly, might be over the top)

Tylor Devereaux from Michigan creates warm, modern rooms that are classic and simple, but loves putting his design over everything. (This guy is the guy who I totally forget about)

Boris Eckey from California has a European background that informs his luxurious yet comfortable design style. (Uh oh, early villain!)

Jessie Miller from Missouri describes her style as urban regency. (No idea what that means!)

Jeribai Tascoe from California likes to create modern, edgy spaces that feature an element of fun and his initials.

Cris Mercado from the Dominican Republic draws inspiration from her tropical surroundings to create a look she calls "bold contemporary." (One of my faves from minute I saw her)

Brooks Atwood from New York is a creative director and design professor, likes to push the envelope with his cutting-edge, modern style that he classifies as futuristic and avant-garde. (Stole top spot from Cris)



Show Commentary:

  • David Bromstad is the host/mentor of this show and his challenge for the contestants had to turn an empty space into an example of their brand.  They can design their own fabric and wall paper.  They're encouraged to show the panel something inventive and something that is "you".  They had two days to make this thing happen.
  • I think the coolest thing about this challenge was the creation of the wall paper.
  • Brooks is freaking out early because he has never created an entire room, he usually teaches students about designing more than actually designing.
  • I really love Brooks, his hair, beard, and personality have star quality written all over him.
  • Tylor apparently has a lot of talent, but I can't imagine watching his show, boring!
  • Jeribai starts talking about initial logo and putting it over everything.  I personally think it's a little overkill at this point, until I realized that the challenge was to bring an example of their brand.  Helps to watch a TV show two times.
  • Abby's ink blots were pretty genius, I would of never thought of that, although I wouldn't of thought of any of these designs.
  • Tiffany is going outside the box, and creating an office space, with a "pop of fabulous."
  • Oh Anne, please don't match your room to your hair.
  • Tobin is going away from his Industrial Theme and more of a modern theme, when he explains it's not really his brand, Jeribai gives him an eyebrow raise.
  • Cris is struggling to find what she wants, an orange couch, and grabs a silver chair instead... come on Cris!
  • Susan Feldman, co-founder of One Kings Lane, is introduced.  She explains that the contestants can choose an item from One Kings Lane to use in their space.  The winner gets a piece of their winning space included the One Kings Lane website.
  • Anne asks Boris to pick up her bedding from the store that Boris is at.  It's on hold and he tells her "no problem!"  He didn't bring it and gave some suspicious quotes for the camera.  Either he didn't get it on purpose or he did.  I think he probably didn't do it on purpose but every show needs a villain, yes, even a design show.
  • Jeribai makes a signature painting, by pouring some green paint onto a wood frame, and when he hangs it on the wall, the paint drips down.  I think it looks pretty cool, and if he's reading this, can I have it? :)
  • UH OH, GUESS WHAT?!?!  NO BEDDING ON THE TRUCK... poor Anne, she's f'd.
  • Boris has 30 minutes to reupholster some chairs.  He does a shitty job, but guess what, the fabric was hideous.  
  • Here comes the storyline between Boris and Anne, I'm already over it.
  • Cris is struggling over there, she can't hang a shelf, until Tobin comes in.  I think I'd have a hard time putting in a shelf, can someone show me how?
  • Brooks sprays his cologne on a sheet of paper in front of his space and writes on there, Smell Me.  Genius point!
  • Cris' space is really dull, considering she loves bright colors.  Should of found that orange couch.
  • The Panel is Introduced: Sabrina Soto, Vern Yip, and Genevieve Gorder.
  • The judges go by each one and judge them.  Genevieve loves the sense of smell in Brooks.
  • I'm not going to go through each thing that the judges say, but i will give an idea of who I think are the top 10 in my book.  
  • The judges liked that Tiffany went outside the box, win for her.
  • Oh no Cris, the judges don't buy this thing.
  • I haven't touched on this, but Jessie annoys me.  I feel like she might be a fraud.  She might be legit though.  I don't want to be one of those internet trolls, so I like her glasses.
  • Vern calls Tobin's space as "really inexpensive"  Yikes.
  • Anne's looks terrible, in my opinion, the colors are just gross.  
  • Once again, Anne complains about the bedding and Boris is behind her with a nervous gesture.
  • Tylor, Tiffany, and Jessie are all safe from elimination.
  • The remaining seven represent the most successful and least successful.  I love that, because safe is kind of mediocre, but the top designers get their praise.
  • Jeribai gets mad props for his initials being integrated in everything.  The room actually looked really awesome in the end.
  • Boris' room was so boring in my opinion, the cushions got called out, but they loved the "boss" chandelier.
  • Vern loved Abby's room because it was everything that he is not.
  • Poor Cris, oh poor Cris.  She's sweet, but her design didn't come out.
  • Brooks likes to combine elements that you wouldn't expect and the judges love him!
  • Anne's was ripped, but they loved the lines in the design.  A positive.  The judges then asked about her bedding, and they pretty much told her, don't make excuses.
  • Tobin was given a positive review of his wooden slats, but was ripped for being kinda me and not entirely me.
  • The winner of the show was my boy Brooks.  You can buy Tobin's piece at One Kings Hill. Brook's Art
  • Tobin was the loser, with Cris and Anne on the hot seat as well.  Bye Tobin.

My Top Ten Designs
  1. Jeribai- I would of had this design in my house. 
  2. Brooks^- I think it was creatively different and fun. 
  3. Abby- This room looked the most comfortable, like I would hang out in there and read. 
  4. Tiffany- I wouldn't have this room, but liked the style. 
  5. Tylor- Eh, kind of like Tylor, I can see why other people might like it. 
  6. Jessie- I liked the emerald green as well. 
  7. Tobin*- The wood slats were pretty cool, the furniture was too IKEA. 
  8. Boris- I thought this room was so boring. 
  9. Cris- It just didn't have a theme or identity. 
  10. Anne- I can't see right, the orange! 
My Top Ten Designers
  1. Jeribai 
  2. Brooks^ 
  3. Abby 
  4. Cris 
  5. Tylor 
  6. Tiffany 
  7. Jessie 
  8. Anne 
  9. Boris 
  10. Tobin* 
*- Loser ^Winner

Please let me know with what you agree with, disagree with, or anything else you want to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment